Today is the day. I've been putting off writing about postpartum depression, because I wasn't sure what to say and how to say it, but I want to share what I've been going through.
The first few weeks of Barrett's life were relatively easy. He slept a lot and I didn't feel like being a mom was very hard.
At about 8-10 weeks postpartum, I started to realize I wasn't myself. I would cry quite frequently, and get angry over little things and at Barrett when he wouldn't sleep. Work (my nanny job) was very overwhelming. I couldn't read a book, or even a long newspaper article because it was too hard to focus on the words. Sometimes I had trouble listening and following a conversation. I was anxious about pretty much everything, and I had no appetite. Around this time, Barrett started regressing sleep-wise. His long stretch got shorter and after that he was up every 2 hours (or less).
Right before Christmas, I went to the doctor. He agreed with my self-diagnosis of postpartum depression and prescribed medication and recommended counseling. It felt so good to discuss it with my family and I got a lot of support from them during the holidays. After I was on the meds for two weeks, I noticed that they were giving Barrett gas pains. He would wake up every night screaming. That was not helping me at all, so I stopped taking them and noticed an immediate difference in his behavior.
I recently quit my job (such a relief not to have to get up at 5 am and pack up a fussy baby!) and started counseling. So far, I really like my counselor, and I feel like she will be a huge help in behavioral (we agreed on no more meds) ways. On recommendation from another ppd mom, I have been taking an iron complex. I feel such a difference in my anxiety and anger issues and I attribute that to the iron and to working out more frequently.
In addition to the sleep deprivation, hormones, and losing a lot of my 'me' time, I think the ppd might be stemming from Barrett's birth. I desperately wanted a natural birth, and I prepared so thoroughly for one. I really did not want a c- section at all. At the time of my decision to go ahead and have one, I felt it was the only option left. Afterward, I questioned myself. Was there something I could have done differently? I feel cheated, sad, and angry at my body for "failing" me. I am trying to work through these feelings and get to a place where I can look at my healthy baby and just be happy that he is here.
My husband has been amazingly supportive through it all. I feel bad for him because Barrett hasn't been taking a bottle, but he will still take him so I can leave the house for a while. The ladies out here have been great too; working out with me, letting me talk things through, and offering to watch Barrett whenever I need them to. All of my other friends and family have been so helpful also, even over the phone. I never thought I would be experiencing something like this. It gives me such an appreciation for the strength of the people who have been through postpartum depression and similar issues.
Friday, January 18, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good for you, Krista, on being proactive and getting the help you need. You have heard my stories, and probably they make more sense to you now : ) you are so not alone! Yep, my births and breastfeeding did not go how I planned, and it took time and acceptance to get past that.
ReplyDeletePat yourself on the back, for sure!
Kudos to you, Krista for getting this out to the world--There are so many crazy things that go on (before motherhood and after!) People need to realize that counseling is such a positive thing and I would recommend it to anyone!!
ReplyDeleteI just want to say, you are doing a great job and are a wonderful mom! And I am here for you whenever you need someone, whether it be to talk, hang out, watch barrett, etc. Im glad the counseling is going well! Hang in there krista, hugs to you!
ReplyDeleteWay to go Krista! It brought tears to my eyes just hearing about your story and how we are so alike in so many different ways! YOU are NOT alone and have an enormous network of brothers/sisters in faith who are here for you! Stay strong, keep your head up and take it one day at a time, YOU will get through this... It definitely helps having a supportive husband too... :) ((hugs)) to you all! Gods Peace!
ReplyDeleteMegan(our first) was also a c-section...much to my disappointment. But, I have done a v-bac with our other 8, and have had no issues.... Hopefully it can be the same for you! Helen
ReplyDeleteI am so proud of you for going to your doctor and getting your needs taken care of. Your story sounds very similar to mine. They never tell you how hard life/things can be, do they? I am glad you like your therapist, seeing one will be a great help.
ReplyDelete`ann b.
Good for you for taking care of yourself! I hope that you continue to fight through it all and have many sunshiney days ahead.
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that you are taking the steps necessary to feel better. Counseling is such a great tool! I know how you felt when you had a c-section and you were hoping it would go a different way. Hopefully the next one will go differently. Your little guy is so adorable!
ReplyDeletePer a recommendation from Jan on her blog, I am reading a book called 'The Ghost in the House' about mothers with depression. I don't suffer from it, but it is informative (and motivation to get help if I ever do start feeling like I have it), and definitely makes me a have a LOT more empathy for those that do! Hope your days continue to get brighter! -Emily S
ReplyDelete