Thursday, August 8, 2013

Mom stuff

I know some people that have multiple children and make it look so easy (Joce!). How do they do it? I think one can be hard, although it's a whole heck of a lot easier now than when he was tiny.

I read this blog today, and I could totally identify with how hard it is to get out of the house some days, and the never-ending to-do list. There are always a million things I COULD be doing, but usually just one thing I want to be doing: sitting on the couch with a good book while Barrett plays contentedly on the floor nearby. Or going for a walk while the dirty dishes get stickier and the clothes get moldier.

How do you balance your kid(s) and your motherly/wifely duties and time for yourself and ... ?

12 comments:

  1. Haha, as if! I definitely have my days when its hard to get the kids breakfast, mush less make it look easy. :) I totally agreed with that blog post, some days you just have to get out of the house and let the dishes and laundry slide. I have been thinking it would be good to have a weekly cleaning schedule (clean certain things on certain days) that way it might not be so overwhelming. Anyone have any good suggestions on where to get a manageable cleaning schedule?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This probably doesn't work for everyone, but I assign myself rooms for each day Mon-Sat. Most weeks I try to do a thorough scrubbing (on kitchen day wipe out the fridge, microwave,etc. and while washing floors also wipe down cupboards and walls). I also like to do all my chores in the morning and then do something funner in the afternoon, whether it's sewing or going outside with the kids. I think just having somewhat of a schedule is easiest to make sure I get time too!
    Betsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. google "the flylady" her emails are cheesy but the system works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Might as well read your book while Barrett is content. Next stage might not be contentment...
    I have no advice. Mostly, I live unbalanced, one direction or another : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep things simple!... Don't sweat the small stuff!... Where there is a Will there is a Way!.. Live One Day at a Time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It ain't easy. Someday, most days actually, my kids run me. Why bother doing anything when in 10 min it might not look like I scoured the kitchen??
    Ugh. Yup, gotta leave the mold laundry, the semi dry cloz in the washer, dishes in the sink, grubby tub.... but its hard. One thing I struggle with is the van!! Clean it, empty it, get it smelling good... where does all the stuff accumulate from?? Who bring their Hello Kitty jewerly box in the van? And expects me to unload it? Off my soapbox. Thanks for letting me vent... its been one of those hubby-working-lots weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Opps.. that was me. Katie. You got me so rialed up, forgot sign my signature.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel the same way krista! I was just thinking that I need to come up with a list routine. Do one room a day during the work week. And do any leftover or deep clean on Saturday. Can't remember who said it but yes, then you don't get overwhelmed. Dishes is one thing I have to do every day though, those pile up so fast it's sickening! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think there is any easy answer, especially when one has small children. I find if I can keep the laundry and dishes(they accumulate) under control the rest I can be more flexible with. After having a baby it takes a full year to feel like I can "keep up" with life. I've learned to try not to compare myself to others -it is hard not to - but we all have different priorities and interests, which will reflect in our homes, activities, and lives. Let us know if you find the answer to balancing it all!
    ~Lisa S.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ryan says "One dish per kid per day. Rinse, reuse, rinse reuse. Wash once." :) I try to keep up with the dishes (daily), laundry (weekly), and pick up the toys when the girls are asleep to feel sane. The rest can fly...especially when the nice weather comes because I tell myself I have the long winters to play "catch up" in the house. (Of course I do a bit more cleaning than that in the summer, but you get the idea!) Works for me for the most part! I say read that book though...if that's what you want to do! :)

    Jill (and Ryan)

    ReplyDelete
  11. As long as there's no mold or maggots on anything, and you and Barret are both alive when the day is done......great job!
    ~ann b.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww... thanks for linking to my blog. I'm glad you could relate... makes the world feel less daunting. xo

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!