We got up at 5 am to catch the shuttle from our hotel to the race start. All of us, bright eyed and bushy tailed.
The atmosphere down by the start spot was giddy, exciting, and most people were smiling. I wouldn't have been happy if I had to wait in line for a porta-potty though. There were about 50 of them all lined up, and the lines to use them were very long!!!
Kind of a blurry picture, but this was the starting line. Mr. Heart was jammin' and dancing all over the place. The runners took off in 6 waves, with the fastest ones in the first wave. Leanne was in wave 5, and estimated she would finish in 5:30. One lady in the first wave had a prosthetic leg, amazingly!
I have never seen so many people running in my life. Everyone running the half-marathon started with the full-marathoners, so the streets were crowded for the first ten or so miles.
As we sat and waited for Leanne at mile 4, some man and his daughter walked by with home-made noisemakers. They gave them to us, and for the rest of the race, we made an annoying, but fun, racket.
We kept seeing the same runners (the ones around Leanne's pace), and I think after a few times they recognized us because we were so loud. I was surprised at how little people were cheering on the runners.
Our signs said "Sweat is sexy", "Nice legs!" (got lots of comments, smiles, and shorts-raises on that one), and "our MN rockstar".

Leanne's goal is to run a marathon in every state. This was her ninth marathon in her fifth (I think) state. She seemed to be hardly out of breath, even at mile 22.
Leanne's goal is to run a marathon in every state. This was her ninth marathon in her fifth (I think) state. She seemed to be hardly out of breath, even at mile 22.
That is really cool - wow, a lot of marathons for her! I want to watch a marathon so badly, so if you decide to run one, I'd come watch! :)
ReplyDelete