Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Honeymoon Happiness

Mark and I went to Maui for our honeymoon. His wonderful travel agent sister booked it for us, and we really enjoyed the trip.

We had a layover in Los Angeles both ways. I noticed in that airport, people wear a lot of funky shoes. We both had a good time people watching.


The Royal Lahaina resort was our home for a week. We borrowed some snorkeling gear, and saw some itty bitty colorful fish just down the beach from our hotel.


I love rental cars! It's like a long test drive to see if you would ever want that car. I liked our Jeep Patriot, but not enough to ever buy one.


The coastline of Maui was amazing. Actually the whole island was beautiful!


Whaler's Village was a short (but warm!) walk from our place, and we went there twice to eat and check it out. Mark is showing off a replica of one of the whaling boats, which is much smaller than the size of the whales old-timer Hawaiians were trying to harpoon.


I was so excited to find out there was a frozen yogurt shop in Maui! I dragged Mark there twice to get some.


Frozen yogurt reminds me of living in AZ. Eating it brought me back to those sunny, sunny days. Good memories. It's funny how just a taste of something can do that.

Mark had fun driving the Jeep on the curvy roads up the Haleakala crater. He especially liked the "slapstick" option the car had.



Ziplining! We had 5 lines and a suspension bridge to cross. It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be, just thrilling, like a roller coaster kind of.


Mark giving the Hawaiian thumbs up, or the "shaka".


Looking out to the ocean from the eucalyptus forest up on the crater where we ziplined. The clouds always seem so low in Hawaii.


An example of that.



On the road to Hana, we stopped for some coconut ice cream. It was dairy-free, and delicious! Plus we got to eat it out of a coconut shell, which made it taste even better, probably.



I don't remember what this waterfall was called, but it was tall, and pretty.


And Mark wanted to dive in. Haha.




Hibiscus, I believe. They were everywhere. I really wanted a flower, so Mark pulled over and picked me this.


Seven Pools, maybe? Mark swam in one of them, but I was too chicken (and chilly). There were signs telling visitors not to put their heads underwater, to prevent them from getting some disease.


Mark did anyway, and I'm pretty sure he's fine.

After what felt like just a couple days of sun and fun, we returned the Jeep and headed back to the airport. Our trip was almost complete.


We had another dinner date in L.A. Nbd. Common occurrence in the Kangas household.




Then it was back to chilly MN, and Viv running out the door in her pajamas saying, "I miss you, Dista!" It is nice to be back, but it would have been equally nice to stay for just a bit longer. Like maybe a month.

3 comments:

  1. Fun Post! LOVE your profile pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, so jealous! Hawaii is my next vacation spot :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty! And i think you guys went somewhere different for ziplining.. :) looks like it was a beautiful week for you guys! (amy)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!