Tuesday, November 22, 2011

the North Dakota Badlands

They are not as well-known as the ones in South Dakota, but are just as breath-taking and neat. We live not far from the Theodore Roosevelt National Park, where the Badlands are located, so we took my parents on a short day trip there.

It was a cold and windy day, but so worth it! This is at the Painted Canyon overlook.
They stretched for miles.




I didn't realize how much I had missed my parents until they came to visit (and haul some of our stuff out). I had fun playing hostess and showing them around 'our town'.


In TR National Park- there were many towns of prairie dogs. I know Mark and my dad were wishing they had guns along (not allowed, of course!) to pop a few. Here Dad is sneaking up on them...


... throwing rocks at them (to my mother's dismay). He missed, though.


We kept seeing bison poop. I really, really wanted to see a real bison. It had been years since I had last laid eyes on one.


Finally! An old, skinny one down in the ravine.



Dad's goal was to climb one of the buttes he saw all across ND. He had to settle for half of this bluff.


Wild horses were congregated near one of the pull-offs. My dad, Mark, and I got out of the car and walked nearer them to get a better look (and picture). My mom was cautious, and stayed by the vehicle, and yelled for us to come back.


We figured this was the leader of the herd. The other horses didn't move until he did.


A whole herd of bison! Again, my mother was cautioning us to stay in the car and don't get too close. We joked about running out there, but bison can weigh up to 2000 pounds, and can turn around faster than a horse.



North Dakota has a beauty all its own, one that doesn't include many trees, but is a wide open landscape of sky and golden prairie. I am thankful to be out here with my husband, enjoying our new life and home.

6 comments:

  1. I love TR Nat'l Park. Ron and I camped there one night on our honeymoon, and I've always wanted to go back and spend more time.
    The closest Nat'l Park to us! (I think?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how fun! There is nothing like having your family come out and see you. And see where you live and what you do. Right? Until your family can picture where you are, it seems like something is missing. Weird how that works. It looks really beautiful out there. Enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty area, I remember my first time driving out west on my way to Montana, we stopped there and it was my first glimpse of the beauty that part of the country has to offer. It was so gorgeous, especially after spending the whole morning in the car :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love that area! Some of the spots (coming down the hills into the south entrance?) reminded me of the Grand Canyon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like fun! Maybe we should haul the boys out there camping next summer!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!