Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Road Trip!

Last Saturday, Mark and I took an impromptu trip from Dickinson to Williston. Williston is the hub of the oil field, so I really wanted to see it. Joce had mentioned the 2.5 hour drive between the two towns was interesting, and it was.

Here is an oil drilling rig.

These drill the initial wells, and then the oil should free-flow. Once it stops free-flowing, a pumping unit is put on the well. Then if there is a problem, that's where Mark and his workover rigs come in.

A closer picture of the drilling rig. We don't have quite as many near our town as there are up around Williston.

The road winds right through the ND Badlands. It is very pretty.


I know a lot of people don't like to be in the car on a nice day, but I do.


And we got to stop at the North unit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park. We saw the South unit in November with my parents.




The North unit was smaller (part of it was closed), and we didn't see as many animals. However, the landscape is better- it feels like you're deeper in the badlands.


We saw two bison just off the road.

This guy looks a little skinny. Maybe this isn't his best angle.


They are such big, different looking creatures. I am intrigued. My mother will be happy to know we did not get out of the car to see them closer.



Seeing their eyes made the experience more real somehow.


While we were in the park, we ran into two people from the yoop. A Wesa and a Kinnunen, both living in Williston. So unexpected, but it brought a smile to our faces.


The Missouri River.


Upon leaving the park, the landscape flattened out to rolling hills of amber grain. Well not really grain, but that's what it makes me think of when everything is golden and dead.


The closer we got to our destination, the more we saw trailers, campers, even a school bus that someone was clearly living in. Every small town was bigger than before the boom.


There were many, many trailer parks such as this one in Watford City (about an hour south of Williston).



Lots and lots of the afore-mentioned pumping units as well.

A short distance south of Williston (you can see it in the back of the picture), there is a land bridge between what looks like two lakes. Apparently it's all flood waters. North Dakota had a huge problem with the Missouri River flooding last year. Mark said the water used to be right up to the road in this picture.


Driving into Williston. I dislike the look of towns in North Dakota. As Mark said, "they look like garbage on the landscape". It is simply because of the lack of trees to camoflauge man's stamp on the land.

Campers for sale! I'm sure they're selling like hotcakes.


Williston has some beautiful old buildings in its downtown. Here is one across the street from the Elks lodge where Jocelyn and Mike live.


And another, across the other street. The same man who built the lodge built this one.


The Elks Lodge, with Jocelyn in purple to give you some idea of how big it is. It is approximately 26,000 square feet. Right now, I think there are eight adults (including Mike, Joce, and Cousin Wade), two kids, and three dogs living there.


Here is one of the kids- Vivian! She is still her energetic, expressive self. Does anyone think she almost looks a bit like a little Aunt Lynda in this picture?

Drumming is hard work! Someone found this drum amongst the old things in the lodge, and Viv had a blast playing it.

Here's the other cutie-pie there; Haas. He's pretty Haasome. Very smiley and content.

After a fun afternoon and evening spent mostly outdoors, and a delicious dinner made by the "Hawaiians", we headed for home. There are two men from Hawaii catering out of the commercial kitchen at the lodge.


During the drive, I could see H(little 2)S fires and the bright lights of the drills in the distance. The fires are present on all (I think) well sites to burn off hydrogen sulfide gas that comes out of the ground. This gas is very poisonous and flammable, and one reason working on oil wells is dangerous.


Here is the same drilling rig from the first picture.
Not a very good photo, but it gives you an idea of how bright the rigs are at night. They're almost like their own little community.


I hope this gives a better idea of what western ND looks like.

5 comments:

  1. thanks Krista, it really does give the feel of it. I would still like to make a trip out there sometime to see "the oil rush"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting isn't it? Lol I think I understood a few things reading this post better than when phil tries to explain it to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan-you really should come for a visit!
    Krista-it was fun to see you guys for the day and your photos do a good job of showing what the oil rush is like. Also, Viv does look a little like Lynda :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the post Krista! It is fun to get a better idea of what things are like out there... Hearing is one thing, but seeing (thru pictures in my case) is so much better! Miss you (and Jocelyn!) Hope all is well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was really interesting :) Thanks for posting all the pictures. I have been curious about the rigs ever since you guys moved out there. I went to ND when i was in high school, but it was to Bismark and Lincoln so it was a somewhat different area. Hope you guys are doing well!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!