Thursday, November 15, 2012

Help!

Barrett won't sleep.


Night time is no problem, he sleeps just fine. It's during the day that he has an issue. 

It goes like this:
He falls asleep, swaddled, in my arms in the rocking chair
I put him in his swing, with white noise going full blast
30 minutes later, he's up and fussing/crying
Nothing will put him back to sleep, but nothing stops the fussing either
So he's up for hours, and then he's overtired
By the end of the day, I'm still in my pjs and just a bit frustrated

Save my sanity! This will pass, right?? I mean, I know it will, but as I'm bouncing and sweating with Barrett in the front pack, it feels like this might last forever. And my back is really sore.

10 comments:

  1. Give it a few months!:P My boys were super good babies, my girls not so much. The first 3 months of their lives were rough, they wanted to be held constantly and were good as long as I never put them down. The minute they were down the crying started. I always wondered are they cold? Do I not have enough milk? Are they hot? and so on...never could figure anything out. So I guess I have no real advice for you other than hang in there, and get out by yourself whenever you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could be colic, or gas. Or else what Joan said:) I usually end up carrying my babies around for the first few months. I really liked the Moby wrap for the newborn stage, might be worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadie was really fussy at first until I realized she wasn't getting enough to eat. Have you tried supplementing with a bottle once in a while?
    Otherwise, I throw my hands in the air : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry Krista. Sierra was the same way for a couple months when she was little. I didn't find anything that consistently worked with her either.
    Make sure you take care of yourself. Little man will be okay crying for a few minutes so you can take a shower or just breathe.
    Newborns are tough, such a guessing game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh! That newborn stage can be so rough! You're already doing all the tricks I know, just stick with it and it will get better with time. Call anytime you need someone to vent to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Howie had fussy spells like that until I went strictly gluten-free-then he was the easiest baby ever...it could be a food related thing, there are a lot of different intolerances in the Roiko fam!But it might not be...check out the book The Happiest Baby on the Block. If nothing else, it gives you a good system to go through when you're at your wits end (and it often has worked for my babies!)so you know that you haven't missed something 'obvious.' Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Same thing Jan said, except with our Sonja. Had to supplement. But, if nothing else, you have all our support and love!!
    ~ann b.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I let my baby take her naps on her tummy and I checked on her frequently...I know some may disagree with this, but she loved it and would sleep for hours a few times a day. Heavenly! You are doing great, though! :)

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brock was a bear- until we brought him to the chiropractor. A few adjustments later and some easy at home exercises, he is golden. Just an idea. This too shall pass I tell myself. Good luck. -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a little bit late here. I went through this with Kaija around 3-4 mos. I think it's pretty common. I had to make sure she was fed, diaper changed, etc. and basically taught her how to nap. I googled it. I don't really remember exactly how I did it, but I know that I had to just let her fuss a little and she eventually fell back to sleep. Once she realized I wasn't just going to get her after every little noise, she improved. And if you aren't doing scheduled naps, you might want to try it. I don't remember how many naps they need at that age. Google "cat napping baby" or something like that. You will get a lot of tips.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!