Thursday, May 23, 2013

PT and B

Everyone told me "he's fine, he's fine". Even his pediatrician said that his neck and head were nothing to worry about. But, deep down, I knew he wasn't "fine". I knew that his head tilt wasn't normal and it wasn't going away. 


I first noticed Barrett's torticollis around the age of 3 months. I talked to the chiropractor about it, and he worked on it a bit. We had some core energy work done also, and those two things seemed to help. 


At his 6 month appointment, I mentioned my concern once again, but it was smoothed over (sort of) by the doctor. Since then, I couldn't stop thinking about Barrett's torticollis. It wasn't magically going away, like I hoped it would.

I had finally made the decision to ask his doc for second opinion, when a friend who is a physical therapist's assistant moved to town. I asked her what she thought, and she agreed that he should see a physical therapist. It was a relief to have someone come right out and say what I was thinking- that he needed help. 

Today was our first appointment with a PT. She was very nice, helpful, and full of ideas for me to do at home. 


Her profession opinion is that his neck muscles are just tight on his right side, and not weak on the left. Therefore, it will take less time to get his head on straight (haha), as long as Mark and I keep up with his stretches at home. She wants us to do five or so minutes of work with him for every waking hour. Definitely doable. 

I feel so much better. As a parent, it is hard to know there is something "wrong" with your child, but it sure does feel good to have some help and understanding. 

A plus is that Barrett is turning out to be such a chill guy (so different from his first months- he just needed a sleep schedule!), and he doesn't mind the stretches and massages one bit. 

3 comments:

  1. Glad you have an answer. Children's PT fascinates me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweetie!
    ~ann b.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome that you have an answer. I think it is awesome that you listened to your gut and got it taken care of.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!