Saturday, January 23, 2010

Drizzly 5K

I was nervous, and I didn't sleep well last night, but as soon as we got to registration, I got more excited. Everyone around was in a good mood, and that made me smile too. We got to talk to Jill and cheer her on when she took off, and then it was our turn.

The weather was 35 degrees, windy, and drizzling rain, but it didn't bother us too much. Mile 1 was easy, mile 2 was hard and long, and mile 3 not so bad, despite the hill right at the end. Kayla pulled ahead of me and finished with 26:59, and my time was 27:40. Not as good as I wanted, but oh well.

This is us before the race, all excited and stuff.
Dave Ryan from KDWB radio was the announcer for the event, so we went and got a picture with him afterward (sweaty faces and all). We're both big fans of his, and we just couldn't stop grinning during the picture taking.
Kayla afterward, with our mug and shirt (black), and my extremely wet shirt (red).
I told Kayla afterward that I'm hooked. Hooked on racing. But I actually HATE running. I just loved the atmosphere, and the feeling of accomplishment afterward. I need to get over the stigma in my head of hating running, and decide that it's not so bad.
For my next 5K, I'd like to run under 27 minutes. I'm thinking about doing another in February.

3 comments:

  1. I commented last night but I guess it got lost. Yay on running a race- I too, love the race atmosphere- the "everyone who runs a race is a winner" thing. Right now I have the running blahs- meaning I have not been running.
    congrats on your first race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan- but you have been going without sweets, which is almost as hard!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!