I loved the mountain streams. I was really wanting to swim in this one, until I noticed all the crayfish in it. I know, I'm kinda wimpy.

Crater Lake National Park. It was exciting to find snow on July 20th! We had an impromptu snowball fight, and built a snowman, whom we named Alfred.

Look how blue! This lake was created by a volcano that collapsed (or something along those lines). The only way to put your feet in is by a two-mile hike down the mountainside. We decided no-go on the hike because we still had to find a campground for the night, and it was getting late.

After we left Crater Lake, we took the scenic Highway 1 from OR down the Cali coast. The redwoods were amazing! So big. Kayla loved them, as you can see from her high perch in the roots of this fallen one.
The road is up on the cliff to the left. For nine hours, it was 15-20 mph curves. I'm sure Sara got tired of driving them, but around each bend, it seemed, was another pretty view.

Finally, San Francisco. Our first stop was the Golden Gate bridge (and I just realized I forgot to put a picture of it in this post). We hiked up a hill and got some nice photos before the cold wind chased us back down.
Sea lions seem to do some human-like things. We spent a half hour watching them, laughing as one wife kept trying to wake up her sleepy husband.
Sourdough bread is a popular thing in San Fran. I thought the different shapes were pretty neat. We bought some sourdough toast, but to be honest, it just tasted normal. Maybe if I would have gotten the teddy bear...

This is the Bay Bridge, which goes out to Treasure Island, and continues through the island (tunnel) to Oakland.

Some random statue. I like it. Our pedicab driver didn't know much about it.

We rode a cable car up the hill to Chinatown. I held on to the bars and leaned way out. Exhilarating!

Lombard Street, famous for its crookedness. We didn't drive on it, because the line waiting to get on was pretty long.

We only spent a day and a half in San Fran, but it feels like we saw most of what we wanted to. On the way home, we stopped at the Great Salt Lake in Utah. I meant to touch the water, but when I got close, flies swarmed me. Yuck.

We camped in Park City, UT, at a nice RV resort with a stream just behind our tent.
The next day we made it back to Wyoming, where Mark showed off his new bow (which cost almost as much as my whole trip!) and made us feel at home again. Monday morning we left their camp for the final drive to MN.
Crater Lake National Park. It was exciting to find snow on July 20th! We had an impromptu snowball fight, and built a snowman, whom we named Alfred.
Look how blue! This lake was created by a volcano that collapsed (or something along those lines). The only way to put your feet in is by a two-mile hike down the mountainside. We decided no-go on the hike because we still had to find a campground for the night, and it was getting late.
After we left Crater Lake, we took the scenic Highway 1 from OR down the Cali coast. The redwoods were amazing! So big. Kayla loved them, as you can see from her high perch in the roots of this fallen one.
The road is up on the cliff to the left. For nine hours, it was 15-20 mph curves. I'm sure Sara got tired of driving them, but around each bend, it seemed, was another pretty view.
Finally, San Francisco. Our first stop was the Golden Gate bridge (and I just realized I forgot to put a picture of it in this post). We hiked up a hill and got some nice photos before the cold wind chased us back down.
The next day we spent mostly down at Fishermans Wharf.
This is the Bay Bridge, which goes out to Treasure Island, and continues through the island (tunnel) to Oakland.
Some random statue. I like it. Our pedicab driver didn't know much about it.
We rode a cable car up the hill to Chinatown. I held on to the bars and leaned way out. Exhilarating!
Lombard Street, famous for its crookedness. We didn't drive on it, because the line waiting to get on was pretty long.
We only spent a day and a half in San Fran, but it feels like we saw most of what we wanted to. On the way home, we stopped at the Great Salt Lake in Utah. I meant to touch the water, but when I got close, flies swarmed me. Yuck.
We camped in Park City, UT, at a nice RV resort with a stream just behind our tent.
We saw so many different things that our ten day trip seemed to last forever. I got a taste of the west, and I would love to go back, especially to Oregon, to explore further. Unfortunately, it now feels like summer is almost done. A few weeks of packing and cleaning, and then it's off on a new adventure.
Looks fun!
ReplyDeleteawesome trip! where to next?
ReplyDeleteAwesome pictures, San Francisco looks like a neat city!
ReplyDeleteArizona, in September.
ReplyDelete