Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I am a survivor of the Superstitions Death March

dun dun dun.

We found out about this intimidating hike from a guy we met on our way down Flatiron (another hike in the Superstitions). He told us it was an 11.1 mile trek starting on one side of the Superstition Mountains and crossing many peaks to the other side. Pokes and I considered it, then decided we'd go for it, convincing roommate Sarah to come too.

I did a little research before we went out, and this is what I read:

An excerpt from an article on Trails.com

"This combination hike and scramble challenges even the hardiest of outdoor aficionados and earns its nickname of "Superstitions Death March." ... Despite the ridgeline's well-deserved reputation as the toughest hike near Phoenix, most hikers who tackle it love the experiece..."

As I packed my trail backpack, all I could think about was Uncle Ron getting lost in the desert, and I got a little nervous.

Morning of the hike came, and I woke tired, but excited. We left home in two cars, leaving one at Flatiron, and taking the other to our starting point.

Sarah gearing up with a Gatorade Prime.


I love the morning sun on the mountains!
Can you tell we were all pumped up to start??


About a mile and a half up our hike, the view was amazing. Our car is way down there somewhere.

We got lost a few times. The trail was marked by rock piles, or cairns, but we couldn't always find them, and were very happy to come upon one.


A windy day up top!!

Pictures can NEVER do it justice. We could see for miles and miles, as well as the mountain range and canyons spread out before us.



Pokes pleased with his find, after a particularly difficult search. At one point, we were off the trail for over an hour. I think this made us all slightly nervous, but we didn't voice our concerns, just our joy at finding a cairn.

A nasty slide down a desert mountain has acupuncture-like results.


This guy is something we called "huge and nasty". It was so rigid, and never let us pass nearby nicely.


We made it!!! It took us 8 and a half long, windy, cold, hot, thirsty hours. I am exhausted and my legs are sore, sore, sore, but I feel a sense of accomplishment. :)

8 comments:

  1. This looks so awesome, Krista!
    I will have Ron take a look, I wonder if he has done this hike?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That looks like an intense hike! But also very fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! I would love to *try* to hike something like that! I bet trying to find the landmarks added to the adventure! :) We will be missing you at SLW!!
    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a sweet hike! I would have been nervous too. I'm sad you won't be at SLW :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - looks fun! :) I'm kind of jealous and am starting to think I really need to make a trip out there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats on making it! sounds like a hard hike, glad you "survived".
    ~ann b.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat hike and pictures! When we retire, I want to see the SW mountains. We probably will not be making hike such as this one.

    That huge and nasty plant is a type of agave. There are many varieties. Parts of the plants are edible and parts are poisonous. It is used to make tequila.

    Don

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops! I forgot to say, "it is probably to strenuous for us."

    Don

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!