that I should tell about what happened to me while we were out on the pontoon a week ago. So everyone can be warned.
Warning: Do not jump into a lake without a life jacket on
We had the four boats tethered together on the edge of the lake, near a busy channel (bad choice). The football was flying around, and as was inevitable, it went in the water. Since it was about fifteen feet away, I thought, no big deal, I'll jump in and go get it.
I made it to the ball in seconds. I turned around to start swimming back. But then, no matter how hard I swam, it seemed the boats were just as far away as when I started. I was tiring quickly. I flipped over on my back and kicked with my feet to conserve energy. When I turned back over, I was even further away from the boats, maybe 40 feet or so.
By then, I was panicking. My chest felt tight, and I couldn't breathe. Water from the choppy waves was periodically flooding my mouth.
Finally, Lindsey yelled "Are you okay, Krista?" I replied "No".
She said, "Put your hands in the air so passing boats can see you". I tried that, but it only made me sink, swallow more water, and freak out that a boat was going to run me over.
"We'll untie and come and get you" she assured me. It was the longest two minutes of my life.
But finally her boat motored next to me. Lindsey pulled me up and wrapped a towel around me. I felt like bawling my eyes out. I took deep breaths until I began to calm down. For the next twenty minutes or so, I sat, quietly observing the activity around me.
It's funny how you feel different after something serious happens. I haven't been that scared in a long time. Life seems more precious now.
I learned my lesson. Never again will I jump in a lake without a floatation device within reach. Don't you either.
Monday, July 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
yikes! i can relate to that!! i almost drowned at age of 14... sure makes life more precious doesnt it? glad to hear that you made it out ok. those first deep breaths that you take sure feel good and refreshing.. you had me scared for a while there..
ReplyDeleteWow! That's scary! I have never had anything like that happen to me, thankfully. That would for sure be enough to shake someone up for a while.
ReplyDeleteah, yikes! i felt like I was reading a suspense book! but good lesson. glad you shared it!!
ReplyDelete