Saturday, March 6, 2010

Unexpected finish

There was a design show and competition at my school this week. Us students got to choose a combination of flowers, and then made a piece to be judged. I was really nervous as to how mine was going to work, and it took me almost three hours to complete (!). By the time I was done, I had almost forgotten that I had made it for a competition, and I was just enjoying the process.

Coralie and Kayla came with me to sample the hors d'ouevres and view the pieces at the show. We had a great time, and I got to introduce them to my group of school friends- two older ladies, and a guy my age.

At the conclusion of the show, my teacher stood up to announce the winners of the competition. She announced the runner-up, and I was so surprised to hear my name! My classmates had made some pretty neat pieces, and I felt mine was a little ordinary. It felt good, though, to hear that I do have some talent. Here is my piece:
It consists of three glass cubes, with curly willow and bear grass in the bottom of each, and then cut pieces of curly wilow across the top, with gerbs, roses, tulips, solidago, and leucodendron stuck through them. I really like the look of it, and we're still enjoying it on our dining room table. It is easy to rearrange the flowers too, if I don't like where one is placed.

3 comments:

I love comments!